Small changes can have a big impact on the (re)ordering, storage and usage of your labels. Consider how the following can reduce cost and complexity in your label program:
- Consolidate materials – explore using one label material for multiple applications. As you add new products, you seek the best materials for the application. Yet older products are rarely reviewed and updated, resulting in a variety of materials aggregated over time. This leads to increased cost and complexity. Consolidating label materials can reduce the risk of the wrong material being used, create economies of scale and generate cost savings.
- Reduce the number of label sizes – small adjustments to label dimensions can yield a big impact and may reduce your quantity of sizes by 40%. Benefits include fewer die fees, easier storage, reduced lead times and lower costs.
- Kit commonly used labels and ribbon – collate or “kit” labels by product in one case. Label kits reduce complexity from planning and purchasing, to warehousing and operations:
- Eliminate the risk of missed labels. When the case is empty, you know that all required labels have been applied
- Reduce downtime and material waste by having exact matched label to ribbon ratio’s right in the same box.
- Prevent production stoppage. It just takes being out of stock on one label to shut the entire production line down
- Facilitate planning and procurement. When all labels are together in one case and ordered as a unit, it is much easier to ensure proper inventory levels
- Reduce WIP and inventory
- Create form/label combinations – combine the function of both the label and the form into one document. Form/label combinations reduce operational complexity and increase quality and accuracy.
- Eliminate duplicate work by printing the form and the label at the same time
- Increase accuracy by eliminating the need to match forms to labels
- Facilitate planning and procurement
- Reduce WIP and inventory
- Move low and medium volume labels to digital, on-demand production – digital production creates the flexibility to order low quantities without increasing cost.
- Match label orders to production runs to eliminate storage costs and obsolescence
- Gain the ability to update art prior to each run
- Never have outdated labels on your product again
- Evaluate blanket ordering and stocking agreements - as lead times in the industry continue to grow, evaluate the option for stocking labels that your require.
- Ensure mission critical labeling components are available when needed.
- Reduce cost of labels buy consolidating production runs
- Eliminate the need to monitor purchasing and inventory counts by automating the fulfillment process.
- Review your program annually – regular program reviews are essential to keep your costs and operations at optimal levels. Continual advancements in coatings, materials and printing techniques create performance, process, and cost improvements. If you’re not on the lookout, you may be missing out.
While it may seem like a big job, you don’t have to do it alone. Ask your media specialist to help. Rely on their expertise to find the right enhancements for you.
While it may seem like a big job, you don’t have to do it alone.
To learn more and get started, contact us now to request a consultation with an AbeTech Solution Expert.