If your company works with chemicals and/or hazardous materials, there is a system for labeling these products. To ensure safety, the Globally Harmonized System of the Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) was developed. Occupational Safety & Heath Administration (OSHA), the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the Department of Transportation (DOT), and Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) are the US agencies who have adopted this system.
How the GHS could affect your business
While not a formal law or regulation, the Globally Harmonized System of the Classification and Labelling of Chemicals has been adopted by the United Nations as a means to make the sale and transfer of chemical processes safer. To adopt the best practices within the GHS, your company will need to learn GHS criteria so you can re-classify your chemicals. Safety data sheets will need to be updated to fit GHS formats. Your labels will have to include new GHS elements and be formatted correctly. And finally, you should create training programs for workers on how to understand these new labels and safety data sheets.
Let AbeTech show you the way
Luckily, you're not alone in this process. Here's how AbeTech can help you meet GHS standards:
- Identify the GHS regulations for your products.
- Determine your labeling needs based on the GHS regulations.
- Evaluate your current label printing capabilities to determine if their suitable to meet your needs.
- If not, evaluate the different label printing technologies.
- Request sample material based on your requested print technology.
- Review and determine if software integration is needed.
- Determine the best options for your needs.
Don’t fall behind your competitors
Keep your employees and customers safe by updating the way you label hazardous chemicals. Our 25 years of experience in labels and printing will ensure you get the best support during this transition. The Globally Harmonized System of the Classification and Labelling of Chemicals doesn’t have to be a burden. Work with a proven leader in the label space by contacting AbeTech, today.